View Single Post
Unread 24 Jul 2005, 16:12   #43
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Time to rethink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I dont think this follows - mistakes can happen, even mistakes which result in innocents being killed. I dont think the man's guilt is the most important factor here - I'm more concerned with whether the police had good reason to believe he was guilty. If all available evidence made it reasonable to assume this man was a bomber, then I dont think the police are murders - just people who made a tragic mistake for which they cant be held responsible. People arent omniscient, and all that you can ask is that they make the correct decisions based on the knowledge which is actually available to them.

Before you could say the police were murders, you'd have to show that the situation was mishandled. As I said before, it certainly does look that way, but actually establishing this requires more than just showing the man was innocent.
But is it worth sacrificing even one innocent life to possibly save others? Maybe the policeofficers that followed him acted on their information (There are still a lot of unaswered questions, like the ones you asked before), but what about the police officers that gathered that intel? Should they be punished? I disagree, the fact that he is innocent is enough to say it's mishandled. Maybe not the shooters, but somewhere somebody did something that made a innocent dead. If the people handling these types of cases can't stop these types of mistakes, then other people should handle these situations.

I strongly think that any forms of action to stop something, no matter what it is, is not worth it if innocents are killed/imprisoned. I would rather live in fear in a free society then comfort in a shoot-before-thinking society. I can accept that people are unjustly stopped, detained and even imprisoned (for a few hours anyway) to stop massive killings of innocents, but to KILL a innocent person is too extreme.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote