View Single Post
Unread 23 Jul 2005, 20:15   #30
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Time to rethink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Perhaps, although the vast majority of people I've encountered (and I'm not just talking about young "liberal" people) are fairly unmoved by all of this. Especially with regards the recent events (i.e. the Oval/Warrent Street "bombings"), most people found it quite funny.
I'm more concerned with what people do, than with what they say or claim to believe. There's no point stating that youre unphased by a bombing if youre one of the people cheering on governmental responses aimed at curbing civil liberties. Being unmoved isnt just about cracking a few jokes down the pub - its also about the responses you are willing to tolerate and sanction in a wider context.

Quote:
Sure, the newspapers are going to be calling for fascism - that's what they're there for. I also wouldn't call them particularly in touch (or at least, not in touch with people who live in London - they might represent the home counties quite well, I'm not sure).
And yet people continue to buy these papers. If a tabloid ran a story about why new laws should be passed requiring black people to be put in concentration camps, there would be a national outcry and boycott. But there is no real opposition to media claims that radical new 'anti-terrorist' measures are needed, and that human rights are irrelevant, because as far as I can tell most people either a) agree, or b) dont have any strong beliefs either way.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote