Thread: Quake 4
View Single Post
Unread 26 Oct 2005, 09:01   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Quake 4

Just a gathering of your opinions because the last time I refered to it, I made a suggestion that I didn't think it would be as good a game as Quake 3 Arena (yes, Quake 3 Arena isn't like Quake 2 & Quake 4 but I still prefer that tbh.) and well, my expectation proved to be right.

The Doom 3 engine used in Quake 4 is good but it's not that great (same flaws exist and weren't corrected). I prefered Half-Life 2's engine and also, HL2's gameplay. However, the Quake 4 'experience' was 10x better than Doom 3's which just lacked imho - this is despite the fact at many points during the game, I felt like I was playing Doom 3 again - long unwinding levels, dark settings, things jumping out at various points. Oh, there's a lot of lifts in the latter stages of the game and a lot of interactive screens... sounds like I'm describing Doom 3... again (well duh... same engine before anyone tells me that) - I just expected gameplays to vary.

Dabbing a slab of new paint on it doesn't make the underlying core change which is how I feel towards Quake 4. The efforts put into it are monstrous with the how many years work gone into it but it doesn't live up to my expectation and the hype that I saw build up.

Multiplayer wise, it doesn't have the same zest as Quake 3 Arena does but it's certainly not as shit as Doom 3's...well...
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote