View Single Post
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 16:20   #25
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ok, different response from expected.

The good news is that it's a recognised problem to do with me using "pseudo-columns" (ie. some columns which are spanned by others, in particular in combination with some specific width assignments). The problem is that space is not allocated for pseudo-columns, thus nicely screwing up the layout.
This is along the lines I was guessing at earlier.

The bad news is that the html spec doesn't really cover this situation, leaving it up to the developers to decide what to do about it.
Unfortunately the Mozilla team, in contradiction to how just about every other major browser works, sees the way they render it as "correct" behaviour - ie. space will not be allocated for a column that, technically, isn't drawn (even though it's vital for the layout).

I'm waiting for a response on what they plan to do in version 1.4 before I consider what to do about this. Judging from the number of similar reports I've been directed to, there are plenty more users who're frustrated by this so-called "correct" rendering pattern, so they may yet alter it.