View Single Post
Unread 4 Aug 2007, 01:28   #3
Bobzy

Bobzy is a jewel in the roughBobzy is a jewel in the roughBobzy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Premiership Predictions 2007/2008

1: Man Utd - Not as solid at the back as Chelsea, but could have the most entertaining attack seen in English football (yet again). If Scholes plays as he did last season and Hargreaves/Nani settle in well (which Nani seems to have done), Man Utd are going to be THE team to beat. Main Man: Wayne Rooney - I don't think C. Ronaldo will deliver quite as many goals this term, so can Rooney fill up his boots?

2: Chelsea - A solid, if boring, side - Chelsea will once again be placed in the top 2 and, I feel, will once again get pipped to the title by Man Utd. The problem I have with Chelsea is their attack. Drogba is THE threat - and that's it. If Pizarro settles well then maybe they could sneak 1st, but I feel they'll struggle against teams who have a solid back line. Main Man: Didier Drogba - He's strong, quick and consistent. Drogba will need to maintain this if Chelsea are to have major success this season.

3: Liverpool - Some interesting (yet risky) signings this summer are going to make Liverpool a team to watch. Will certainly be "in the mix", but I doubt they'll be able to beat Man Utd or Chelsea into the top 2. Main Man: Jamie Carragher - There's a lot of hype surrounding Torres at the club and we know Gerrard runs the show at the worst of times, but Carragher is a massively influencial figure at the back. If Liverpool are to have a good season, their defence needs to be rock solid once again.

4: Tottenham - This year promises so much for Spurs fans and I think it will deliver. Spurs boast, arguably, the best attack in the Premiership and, if they can keep all 4 big boys happy, this will go a long way. Main Man: Darren Bent - Berbatov did it last season and I expect him to again, but I think Bent will play a massive part in Spurs' season and they'll be relying on him to score regularly. Pre-season suggests this won't be an issue.

5: Arsenal - Losing Henry is a huge blow to the club. Yes, Van Persie is good; yes, Wenger has brought in a replacement yet; no, neither player is Thierry Henry. Another big signing may occur and Eduardo seems handy but Spurs have far superior firepower to their rivals this season, and I believe that will be very apparent. Main Man: Cesc Fabregas - Arsenal's midfield will be key this season and young Cesc is the man to run the show. His creativity and vision will be vital if Arsenal are to achieve anywhere near their usual standards this season.

6: Newcastle - I'm going to back Deffeh - Newcastle are ones to watch this season. An impressive strike force on paper has been backed up with good investment at the back (where, let's face it, Newcastle have been shit before). Given is an outstanding keeper and maybe, just maybe, it's time for Newcastle's "big club" status to finally be realized. Main Man: Mark Viduka - He's going to start this season and you know he's got the class to score plenty - but he needs to.

7: Blackburn - My "surprise" pick in the Premiership this season are Blackburn. McCarthy was outstanding last season and Santa Cruz is a fantastic coup. Derbyshire is promising upfront as well and Gamst Pedersen & Bentley/Emerson will cause wing backs problems. Main Man: Benny McCarthy - It's got to be. He's the main threat in Blackburn's team and a season as good as last would be exceptional.

8: Everton - All-round, one of the most solid teams in the Premiership. Unspectacular generally, but if Arteta/Cahill/Johnson play, then Everton are an enjoyable team to watch and a hard team to beat. Main Man: Mikel Arteta - His midfield wizardry is often a joy to behold and Everton have a true star amongst the ranks in this guy.

9: Aston Villa - I must admit, this hurts slightly to predict my team outside the top 7. However, Villa simply haven't purchased anywhere near the amount of players needed whilst shipping out 6 or 7. A lot will be made of Reo-Coker this season and he needs to prove he's worth the dolla. Without more summer signings though, Villa win once again be located in mid-table obscurity. Main Man: Martin Laursen - A major boost in defence when fit, the experienced ex-AC Milan defender did not experience a loss in the 14 games he played last season and that's exactly what Villa will need this time around.

10: Portsmouth - Harry's team has recently won the Barclays Asia trophy (or something?!) and, whilst it doesn't really mean anything pre-season, a goalless draw against Liverpool showed exactly what Pompey are all about. If the attack can get it right this season, they may push on, but I can realistically see them finishing 10th. Main Man: Sol Campbell - Reaching the latter stages of his career, Sol is the rock in Pompey's defence and his communication with James and Primus (which have previously been excellent) will need to be solid once again.

The other mid table teams are harder to place and uninspiring to write major parts about. However;

11: Bolton - Good players, but not the same without big Sam. A major decline this season. Main Man: Nicolas Anelka - Nolan is consistently hard working at Bolton but if Anelka can shine, Bolton will be on the up.

12: West Ham - I hate them and the Tevez thing is an absolute joke, but they've made some decent signings this summer and, despite losing Reo-Coker, will improve on last seasons' effort. Main Man: Mark Noble - Exciting glimpses of the youngster last season and I'm expecting him to become key this season. Passionate, hard working and gifted - Noble is exactly the kind of player to spur West Ham to greater things.

13: Reading - Whilst they've lost Sidwell, Reading will continue to be a hard team to beat in the Premiership this season. Unfortunately, it's just not going to be the same. Main Man: Nicky Shorey - An exceptional first season in the top flight, Shorey's hunger as well as his pinpoint deliveries will have a lot to do with where Reading finish.

14: Fulham - Sanchez' ambition to rebuild the Northern Ireland team at Fulham is well underway, but they're not going to be a force at all this season. A predictable, solid and unspectacular 14th is the best they can hope for, but I think they'll get it. Main Man: David Healy - Been talked about for ages now, but he looks a decent player and is going to be the major threat from Fulham all season long.

15: Middlesborough - I love Gareth, but Middlesborough are pretty poor. 3 star players will be the focus of their team (namely Woodgate, Downing and Yakubu) and, unless someone else performs, this simply isn't going to get them anywhere. Main Man: Jonathan Woodgate - If he plays well, Boro will stay up. If he doesn't, they may not.

16: Sunderland - The highest placed of the newly-promoteds' - Sunderland have been reinvigorated by Keane's appointment and seem like a club that (unfortunately) may hang around for a while. Main Man: Kieran Richardson - He's the obvious choice, but he'll definately have a prominent role to play this season. Has the ability to score, is quick and can cross fairly decently as well.

17: Man City - Pearce out, Sven in. However, buying strikers only does not mean you have a strong squad. They were poor last season and they'll be worse this time around. Main Man: Valery Bojinov - He's been hype central across Europe for a few seasons now and England finally gets to see what it's all about. Let's hope it's worth it!

18: Birmingham - I hate them, you hate them - we all hate them (at least I hope we do). I actually think Bruce has done alright in the transfer market this summer but I don't think Blues quite have what it takes to survive. It'll be close, but I think (hope) they'll drop. Main Man: Fabrice Muamba - An interesting but (I think) solid signing from Arsenal and a rock in the midfield last season. If he copes with the Premierships' pace, he'll be a needed force in a weak midfield for Blues.

19: Derby - Billy Davies did a remarkable job last season and Derby fully deserve to be in the Premiership ahead of the Championships' big boys - however, at the end of the day, they're simply not good enough. Main Man: Giles Barnes - I watched him play a few times last season and I liked what I saw. He's arrogant, but he backs it up with pace, intelligent runs and a knack for getting in the box. Could well be subject of a substantial move in the near future.

20: Wigan - They deserved to go down last season - this season they will. Enough said really. Main Man: John Filan - If he's still in goal, Wigan will be needing every save if they're to have any chance of surviving.
Bobzy is offline   Reply With Quote