View Single Post
Unread 12 Apr 2008, 06:26   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Tibet and the Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
The Olympics are thought (use the word 'thought' here because I don't know if it actually does) to give the hosting country a large economic boost because of tourism.
It was my understanding that the greatest benefits actually arose from all the additional (usually public funded) expenditure on large infrastructure projects, particularly transportation and distribution networks (from airport and city-wide mass trasit systems etc), amongst other things. The building of stadia also helps with jobs and the like as well, but they have a smaller multiplier.

Tourism is just torted as an excuse to justify the government not spending that (usually very large) amount of money in a non-olympic year/s. Plus, revenue from tourist consumption taxes help "pay" for it as well, which is handy but reletively inconsequential iirc.

I think the Australian Bureau of Statistics had some modelling done on the 2000 Sydney Olympics done (cant remember whether it was pre or post games though).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote