View Single Post
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 13:45   #149
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: And so it begins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methedrine
This would mean it takes 2 members from FAnG/Rock to hit 1 member of 1Up

Are you playing this round?

If so, you should be aware that the ship stats make it pretty easy for a smaller planet to hit a larger one, assuming no external defence. This is where the numbers game comes into play - the side with more members has more available fleets, whereas the smaller side has fewer fleets. The problem for top alliances isn't the actual existance of fleets capable of defending, it's the fact that each member has only 3 fleet slots with which to defend against a potential 5 classes of incoming (assuming nobody attacks). Add fakes and waved attacks into the picture and it should start to become clearer.

This contrasts with past rounds where it was almost impossible for smaller planets to hit larger ones, so I can understand why you posted what you did. However this round it's just simply not true. 200 planets with 500k value will be able to out-manoeuvre 100 planets with 1mil value each quite easily, as the 100-member alliance will quickly run out of fleet slots.

Since your entire post was based on the formula of requiring equal amounts of value for attacking and defending, your entire post is, unforunately, fatally flawed. It's decent effort at bringing some objective statistical analysis to bear on the situation, but unfortunately far too simplistic

I could go in-depth on the mathematics behind this, with huge examples illustrating my point, but I'm going to hope that you get it and therefore I don't need to spend 30 minutes writing a huge post
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”