View Single Post
Unread 29 Apr 2009, 06:11   #2
Grog
Benevolent Dictator

Grog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud of
Re: Why changing salvage sucked ass and please change it back next round

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
You get calcs like this http://round31.planetarion.com/bcalc...5kyzaisct94y0t

Seriously what the **** do you want the xan to do there, whore more emp defence or accept the fact he loses value even if not a single ship actually gets to cap? That said I imagine quite a lot of people who will read this are retarded and won't get how staggeringly gay this sort of stuff actually is so I'll post a slightly different calc which will happen later in the round.!
I'm not retarded & yet I still fail to see how staggeringly gay that calc is.
To me that looks how calcs should look, if the attacking ships get to fire then they're going to hurt the defence.
Salvage was introduced to make it easier to rebuild after getting bashed. The purpose was to give planets the ability to recover & continue playing. It was never intended to be the easiest, best way to gain value.

Quote:
http://round31.planetarion.com/bcalc...kizr1xtxoeg1uu
Your reward here for having some faggot decide to crash and lose his entire fleet on your def is that your def loses 300k value. On the scale of weak shit this ranks pretty highly.
OK on this I fail to see why you should have a reward for someone crashing on you.
Whatever happened to the good old days when calcs were ugly & you were praying that the guy wouldn't sleep in & crash?
Cursing the moron who crashed on your defence, lost all his fleet & cost you score.
That's how PA should be.
Somewhere along the way it went from a small return on lost ships to a serious resource mine for any alliance that could consistently defend well.
Hoping that every attacker on you lands, so that you can gain score? As far as I'm concerned that's incredibly broken.

Quote:
Now I mean certainly some big zik planets benefitted last round, which was a 10 week round but christ I'd have my doubts whoever approved the salvage change realised that made a difference, from salvage. And yes these were primarily ascendancy planets because for some reason a lot of other alliances seemed to find crashing awesome. So the response to about 10-15 planets gaining a lot of score off salvage was to cut salvage in half. Ignore the longer length of last round. Ignore the fact that if the government's response to finding a department was overfunded was halving their budget they'd be asked what planet they live on. Did nobody even look at what some of the resulting calcs would be like?
LOL ok nothing understated there.
Ascendancy won last round from salvage. Elviz won the round from salvage. It wasn't a few zik planets, It was a HUGE amount of salvage. The round went from reasonably close, to ascendancy running away with it. You weren't gaining score from attacking. Your opponents weren't losing massive amounts of roids. Attacks were crashing & every time one did, Ascendancy got a big jump in score/value.
We spent a couple days working our asses off, organizing nonstop attacks on ascendancy.
Ascendancy hardly attacked at all during those 2 days, they defended.
We'd line up 10-12 fleets, find a target, set a calc, launch the wave. It would get covered, we'd issue a recall order & some moron would crash.
When we started doing that, the round was very close, after 2 days of that, ascendancy had gained enough value from salvage alone to seriously widen the gap & everyone realized how pointless the effort was & gave up.
It was insane.

There's no way you'll ever convince me that the salvage formula wasn't seriously broken.
The round went from being very close, to being out of reach in 2 days & you did it without attacking & with your closest opponent only crashing 1 of the MANY MANY fleets that crashed.

You won a round by defending. How is that not broken?
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote