Thread: open source
View Single Post
Unread 31 Jul 2005, 16:04   #49
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: open source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Why not? They are both the products of intellectual labour. I see no real distinction - aside from the pragmatic points already raised. The fact that one cost a lot of money and the other didn't is really irrelevent. The only justification for any of these things is practical - which is why you have a time limit. Property rights don't traditionally expire and the fact that IP does is recognition that this is a social contract of trading a little liberty for supposed economic benefits.
Because there was no real intellectual labour involved in coming up with, and implementing, the pizza idea. Its the difference between the first person on the moon building a fence around an area and saying "I declare all this to be mine", and someone building a shop on the moon. Only the second would have a legitimate claim to property rights, since he is the only one who has actually invested productive labour into the land.

The drugs vs pizza example seems like a fairly straightward application of the Lockean 'property rights = resources + productive labour' idea to me, with 'resources' here being slightly metaphorical; I dont know where the pragmatism accusation is coming from.

Last edited by Nodrog; 31 Jul 2005 at 16:12.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote