View Single Post
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 13:34   #145
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Responses from Jolt to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
tbh i don;t have a clue about how the whole jolt + simtech thing works, but here is a guess
while it's great that pateam finally seems to have someone who'll finally talk to the community - what's the point of you guessing how things work? as a pateam member, you should either be able to find out and tell us, get someone else to tell us, or tell us that you can't tell us (and leave us speculating, and we all know where that went with the BBW fiasco).

here's my guess:
jolt, simtech and nildram are all related companies, i'm told they're all part of some company called accent holdings, or some such.

therefore, simtech - ie, pa - is run to break even, and this is what biffy etc tell us.
however
simtech leases hardware and bandwidth off jolt. they have to pay the 'oppertunity cost' of the servers. as the oppertunity cost is what jolt could charge if the servers were being used as clanservers they're obviosuly making a profit out of pa - even if simtech is making a loss, i'd bet that jolt is getting paid.
i seem to recall you saying something about how pa pays for the bandwidth it uses. as the clanservers don't appear to pay extra for bandwidth, that's another profit for jolt, even if simtech's loosing money. this possibly filters further down the line, as i suspect that bandwidth is bought off nildram, who're probably making a proffit selling it to jolt.

therefore, i'd suggest that while simtech quite possibly is making a loss, jolt and nildram are both quite possibly making a proffit out of it. ah the wonders of internal accounting. THIS is why i believe planetarion is hosted at jolt, rather than any issues of convenience or legality.

as always, these are only opinions and guesses. i look forward to being proved incorrect.

-mist