View Single Post
Unread 2 Aug 2004, 20:49   #117
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Responses from Jolt to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Jolt provides people with gaming servers, including the Planetarion customers.

If they have no control over their servers, because they are in another part of Europe, and they break down, they have no way of fixing them. They will have to rely on other people to fix the servers properly for them. Which means that they are not able to keep their customers fully up to date on proceedings, which in turn will not go down well with their customers.

Offering people servers for rent and then having to feed them the "Sorry the server broke, we're waiting until someone fixes it" line when there is a problem, isn't exactly a trustworthy example, and frankly Jolt would be crazy to engage in such a setup.
Okay, on the scale of likely things to happen, assuming you chose a vaguely reputable provider in your designated country of choice, what is the probability of the server physically falling over if you do anything less than a full kernel upgrade (like someone did in another game a few days before round start) ?

I'd put it in somewhere between myself winning the lottery and hell freezing over... Most of the time a server goes down (and by this I mean absolutely inaccessible) it's either because :

The power goes out
There's been a fire
A BOFH put a nail fuse in the 3 phase (which causes both of the above)
The manager refused the BOFH's payrise (it was only 100%... I mean who can live on £50k?)

You see my point by now I guess

Everything else you can rectify with ssh or ftp access ultimately.

Nova