View Single Post
Unread 2 Aug 2004, 19:20   #113
Blacknova
Zhil's Monkeyboy

Blacknova is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Responses from Jolt to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
And incoming alerts are one of the few tthings people would pay for on an SMS service though. I mean lets look at my mobile phonem I hit menu scross througha few icons and guess what theres a clock section, a clock section with an alarm. I'm sure most phones have the same, if i need a reminder I can do that for free rather than be charged for it. The only advantage it might have is obviously if we miss a tick BUT on the setup we have now this isnt a common occurance. Offering something in the hope it might cover costs even though its a service that isnt really needed isnt that smart as it will end up costing more to run than it generates (after all i'm assuming that access to an SMS gateway requires some kind of downpayment and then x amount per message)
Largely depends on the level of detail the alerts provide. I would think most people would accept the following:

* Your planet is under attack (but not by who or by what)
* Your construction / research is finished
* Any new messages could be SMS'd to the phone as well as pmail

The bottom one alone would make a significant difference and open up several options and new ways of handling defence / attacks and encouraging use of ingame messaging.

If you're asleep the odds are you may well sleep through the SMS unless you put a klaxon on your phone, and a lot of the more active players may even elect not to use said service.

Nova