View Single Post
Unread 4 Aug 2005, 21:23   #1
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Question How to keep bashed/small/new players interested?

I think one of the fundimental problems with planetarion, and one the game has been trying to address since it's inception is how to keep small players from getting crushed by big players. In addition I think one of the main failings of the game is the inability to keep the game interesting for most players unless they are competing for the top spot. We've seen it happen time after time that as the round progresses things tend to stagnate and a lot of players get demorilized and quit, or just don't really play anymore.

I feel that one of the things this game really needs is more interesting things for smaller players to compete for. Ways that they can still feel that they are involved with important aspects of the game, and that they can have an impact, and a chance to be a "winner." One small step in this direction has been taking in the form of Covert Ops. Now some people hate them, some people love them, and boths those for and against them have reasonable arguements. The one great thing I feel that Covert Ops provide is a way for small players to still "hit back" at big players and have an impact on them. The small player can feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in having taking on that big nasty enemy and won.

So the challenge I have for those who read the forums is this: What kind of things can be done to add meaning to the game for those who arn't in contention for a top spot (either as an ally or a individual)?

I think the golden astroids from havoc were one interesting attempt at bringing new meaning to the game, maybe have some golden covert op roids that can only be stolen through covert ops (and therefor gives the little guys a chance). Anyway I leave the floor open for discussion.

#strategy

Last edited by Monroe; 5 Aug 2005 at 00:21. Reason: need to clarify that this is a question and not a suggestion
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote