View Single Post
Unread 3 May 2008, 10:30   #92
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Re: Alligations of Admin Abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelle
Ty but no need anymore. Main thing is i didn't give out my pw to anyone but somehow someone used my login.
When you logon to the IRC server you use your Nick/password to verify to P who you are, all it takes is for the server admin etc to get your username and password is to review the log that P has within it. The same applies to any other IRC server that has authentication using a bot.

The fact that this (idiot) gleaned the passwords from a forgotten source is evidence enough to remove him from the server, his claim that and subsequent investigation by NG that he did not abuse any priviledges or access he has, is a complete smoke screen.

reviewing an IRC log is not detectable by any means fair or foul, as long as nothing is changed within the log it remains what it is, a record of the activity of the bot.

All our usernames and passwords are sent in plain text to P unlike the NG website which encrypts them.

Players (and I was one of them) use the same login/user details for the same sites, my login for NG was the same as my Alliance Login, and was abused by this person (or he gave it to someone to abuse) my alliance web site logged activity from an IP address in a completely different country to where I live and the person used that access to look up our membership details, which in fact gave that person an entire member list and the coordinates of all our players.

Fortunately for me at least, my game login is completely different and does not use the same password, although I did change it a few days ago when I became aware of this issue.

Where that leaves everyone in regard to the law? I have no idea ?

What it does do is remove any trust the players may have had in using the NG network or website.

Regardless of "innocent until proven guilty" the person should have his access removed as the player base obviously cannot trust him.

The issue in regards to Planetarion, it was suspected he may have accessed players accounts. From what I have read and understood no planets were accessed so therefore no breach of game rules was made.

His actions that allowed himself or others to access alliance websites has nothing to do with Planetarion, so therefore he could not be punished or have his planet closed (if he had one) as he did not break their rules.

No doubt the Planetarion community (all of it) condemn his actions and probably despise him for it there remains no way that he can be punished for game abuse.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote