Thread: fat disease?
View Single Post
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 22:16   #41
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold
Re: fat disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
People complaining that they are fat and yet make no effort to do anything about it is equally as annoying, in my opinion, as people blaming their weight on factors outside of their control. There is more than one factor, as I think everybody here agrees on!

However, my main gripe is when fat people throw the big one in your face (not literally) by stating that, wait for it wait for it...., "Big is Beautiful". Well actually NO IT BLOODY WELL ISN'T. Beauty is NOT only skin deep. Of course you could never stay with a woman who was stunning to look at but had no personality, but you wouldn't even try with a woman who came out with rubbish sentiments like that!

Fat people who say that they can't go down the gym and do some exercise because they would look stupid just don't get it either. If I were to see someone who was overweight down the gym I'd respect them for trying to get rid of it. I would think well of them. People who come out with the kind of drivel only lazy people can come out with to explain why they should stay being lazy despite the obvious hideous consequences really do need to have themselves forced to sit all day on a beach looking at fat people going about wearing a bikini that happens to have lost its top. Why do they do it?! We don't want to bloody well see their 'curvy bodies' or their 'well rounded hips' while tanning ourselves.

Sorry for that, I got a little bit carried away!

"Sexiness" is linked to a number of socio-economic factors-

For example, today in Ethopia and a few hundred years ago in Europe- the populations were suffering from a food shortage. Being "Fat" was a sign of wealth and status, it was damn sexy.

Yet today, when we have a huge food surplus [western world etc.]- we turn to other things to display our success- fast cars, big homes, expensive phones etc. the health consequences of being "fat" have been publicised and hence it is [rightly so] perceived as an undesirable condition.

But that does not mean that you need to treat "fat" people this way. Imagine if somebody who had a "fat disease" [to be discussed in my next post THEY DO EXSIST] read this- they receive this kind of crap all the time- imagine high school for them; the public humiliation. They probably already suffer from lowered self-esteem.

I find our present emphasis on physcial appearance disgusting. Yes, as primates,good looks were the best ways to display physical fitness and health- the most desirable mating partners. have we really advanced socially, morally and ethical so little- in fact degressed to the stage where Walmart selss bras for 10 year old girls? They feel so pressurised to reach physical maturity and desirability that they wear these without actually wearing them? Do you all so willing lap up the images and concepts you are fed on a daily basis?

http://www.swedauk.org/disorders/acrisp2.htm

What about the other end of the spectrum? What about those who suffer from this pressure??? It is devasting, that they will so willingly disregard their health to conform to the petty demands society places on them. The depression, worry, self-loathing they experience- how could you wish it on anyone? and why has this come about? Because of self-centred, insonsiderate people like you.

Most of these sufferers are women. Beautiful, caring , compassionate women- if there was ever a God, women were his finest work, and you make them bear the brunt of your petty mis-conceptions.

I am genuinely disgusted by this, I cannot begin to explain how much- have more consideration for those around- don't be so selfish, vain and shallow.

And Aryn, yes you may have your own opinion- you are entitled to, yet there are times when you should not share it- say when somebody may take some serious hurt from it.