Thread: London today
View Single Post
Unread 25 Jul 2005, 12:25   #101
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: London today

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I'm talking in a more general sense. In America for example on after the first London bombings they started random bag searches on the subway.

Now, is it right that they carry out random searches or should they impliment racial profiling and only search those who look like they may be a terrorist as they are statistically more likely to be a terrorist.

It then becomes a civil liberties issue. Should people who have no connection whatsoever to terrorists be treated as terrorists just because they have the same skin colour?
I see your point. but then what would be the use in searching white peoples' bags, since they aren't going to find anything there. If a certain group gets profiled, that is due to the fact that all the suicide bombers belong to that group. It certainly wouldn't bother me if I were part of a group under suspicion that the police searched me. If anything it would make me more confident that they are not wasting resources and are, as you say, statistically more likely to catch the people who are damaging my image.
The thing is, it is not just the police that racially profile, it is everyone else. if we could compile statistics on whose bags get stared at on the trains, nobody would stare at my bag or a japanese guys bag or whatever, but they will be staring at muslims' bags.
Quote:
Whether they said 'armed police, stop' or 'police, stop' would make a difference in his reaction.
true, which is why at this stage I am reserving my opinion as to whether they did the right thing or not.
Quote:
Given our countries attitude towards illegeal immigrants, you can never be too sure.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote