View Single Post
Unread 25 May 2006, 14:18   #45
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I have a friend (shock horror) who cuts herself

Quote:
Originally Posted by god113
And as people have said above me no-one really knows totally why people do it, although the amount of people who do it is increasing (fairly significiently I believe), and I don't think anyone really knows why. I don't really think there's one correct answer eg (addiction to chemicals produced/relief of stress/attention seeking/crying out for help).

But whatever the reason I think as TomKat said the first step is for her to realise that it's not good, and she seems like she's quite a way off that.
The reasons why people do it vary, but there are distinct trends. As I pointed out before; severe emotional trauma (such as having been abused/raped), prolonged major depression, or bipolar disorder (manic depression) are common among self harmers. The purpose of the self harm tends to be directed against obtaining some form of alleviation from one or several of those mentioned above. Exactly what the person gets out of it is not paramount; the whole ritual is a symptom of something underlying and probably quite serious.

As pig said, he does have problems on his own, and by confronting her he risks being "drawn" into her problems. She could be alienated by him approaching her, but he also risks having her show up at his doorstep the next time she cuts herself
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote