View Single Post
Unread 25 May 2006, 13:55   #44
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about
Re: I have a friend (shock horror) who cuts herself

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Now I was wondering if GD can offer me some advice.

Firstly she doesnt know I know, but my girlfriend is pretty worried about her as she showed off her new wounds in the ladies, at a nightclub on monday night.

Now I would like to know a few things.

Firstly If I approach her about it, would it make her do it more?

Secondly what makes people cut themselves?

Finally should I tell her family/doctor/sister etc?

Shes quite a good friend id say, but she has her issues. Most of them are to do with relationships. But my gf whos friends with her too isnt too sure what we should do, if anything.
I guess maybe it depends a bit on how close a friend they are exactly, and what their other close friends would be like at talking to them about it, maybe they would be in a much better position to help her etc. But I think the fact that she shows off her wounds means she's either proud of it, or is a way of crying out for help? So confronting her about it might mean she starts talking to you about it (if she does like the attention) and showing you her 'new wounds'. I guess if I was in your situation I might tell one of her closest friends that i'm really worried about her, and say what you heard, then maybe they will have a better idea of why she does it and what to do.

And as people have said above me no-one really knows totally why people do it, although the amount of people who do it is increasing (fairly significiently I believe), and I don't think anyone really knows why. I don't really think there's one correct answer eg (addiction to chemicals produced/relief of stress/attention seeking/crying out for help).

But whatever the reason I think as TomKat said the first step is for her to realise that it's not good, and she seems like she's quite a way off that.