View Single Post
Unread 21 Sep 2010, 18:31   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The "Intellectual" Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson View Post

Let's back up then.

[What left?}

The American left. Perhaps, as some have suggested, the not as right as the far right. But those on the political left in the United States.

[For that matter, what intellectuals?]

I don't think that those who engage in the type of tactics of which I complain are intellectuals. Thus the ""intellectual" tag.

My take on a true intellectual is one who encourages discourse on ideas rather than discouraging discourse. Even if the person having a differing opinion is wrong. Even if the person offering the opinion is uneducated. An intellectual worthy of the name (my opinion only) does not dismiss the opinion or argument of the other person. He engages with an eye to teaching the other person and persuading them. He (the or she is implied) also listens to the other person and accepts that someone without the same advantages of education or intellect might still have a point from which he could learn.

[For an educated American to rail against 'intellectuals' is not only absurd, it is frankly pathetic.]

In the context which I have stated above:
1) Do you truly believe I am railing? Perhaps I do not fully understand the context in which you use that term.
2) Did you understand that my complaint was directed at those call themselves intellectuals and then, through their actions, do a diservice to that which they claim to be?
3) In what way do you see my complaint as being absurd?
4) The dictionary I use defines pathetic as: "having a capacity to move one to either compassionate or contemptuous pity." I may be wrong but I don't think that you are being compassionate. Thus, I will assume that you are being contemptuous. If so, in what respect is my complaint contemptable?

[America is, more than any other country in the world, possibly any other country on the planet, the country of the mob - and it is usually a hysterical and knee-jerk mob at that. It would not have stomach for a self-professed intellectual of any variety even if it knew what one was.]

Am I correct or incorrect in assuming that this is an indication of contempt for America? Perhaps you would enlighten me on how, "America is, more than any other country in the world..., the country of the mob?
How have we distinguished ourselves beyond all of the other countries? I believe in American exceptionalism but even I believe that this honor might well be contested by other countries.

[Denigrating intellectualism - which is of course a term covering all higher human thinking - is only done by those who fear it or regard it within insecurity.]

The criticism isn't aimed at intellecualism but the much more common pseudo-intellectualism.

[As I don't think you are afraid of higher thought or insecure about it, dda]

I thank you for that.

[I can only assume you are parroting this crap from some loudmouth knobjockey who is]

As for the "knob jockies", do not be too quick to dismiss all of them. (As an aside, "know jockey" was, at one time, a disparaging name for homosexuals.) Grains of truth and understanding can come from the least likely sources.