Thread: No more IRC
View Single Post
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 17:41   #37
Pit
Hole in the ground

Pit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of light
Re: No more IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuLgAr View Post
Discord

cons:
- Closed system. I know this doesn't bug many people, but everything's entirely in their hands. It also applies to Slack, WhatsApp and Telegram.

Quote:
pros:
4) only a username required to invite
5) no missed messages
Sort of. The #1234 is required (that *is* part of the username, but people may miss that). Personally I'd think links to the "servers"is easier, but I've had relatively limited interaction here.
Scrollback can be a pain, but that's a problem with most systems. irssi (with a script, admittedly) handles this well for me, but I'll also accept that I'm in the minority. Honestly, most people don't seem to care about most scrollback. But for some messages they do.
Quote:

Slack:

cons:

4) voice chat with groups requires a paying account
I keep seeing this. Do people *really* want voice chat for Planetarion?

Quote:

Telegram/Whatsapp:

(not much difference in these really)
Quite a lot of difference in a few ways, including userbase (especially geographic variation iirc) and philosophy.
Quote:
cons:

1) requires peoples phone numbers to invite (negated by usernames on telegram not sure about whatsapp)
No arguments here. Although giving alliances or even galaxies mobile numbers was not unusual, even before these came along.
Quote:
IRC:

cons:

1) requiring new players to use this is archaic and obscene in today's world (barrier of entry requires research)
2) without scripts/plugins
3) mirc the grand daddy of irc apps requires a license (sorry but this is beyond obsolete)
4) without a bouncer you're gonna miss messages (aint nobody got time fo that)
1) You'll need to do better than that.
2) I don't actually know what you're trying to say here.
3) Don't use mirc?
4) This is more like it. A Planetarion bouncer has been suggested, but has a lot of complications. I've been wondering whether a Netgamers bouncer would help (some other networks run them) but that's a pretty big step. And a pretty big ask. And I'm still not sure it would help...
I'll also add that lots of users have trouble with mobile clients (again, for various reasons).
Pit is offline   Reply With Quote