View Single Post
Unread 26 Nov 2011, 11:24   #17
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Re: How (and why) Planetarion fails

Worryingly i dont think anything will ever change with PA... The game itself has fundemental flaws which would take quite a significant overhaul to fix. These forums are never short of ideas and solutions, the likes of Ave and m0 to name a couple are regularly coming up with ways to fix problems but realistically most of them require some serious coding and reinvention of the core game. When added to the fact that PA has one paid coder in Cin who from what i have been told is already constantly busy rewriting basic game code to keep pa running this means that the forum suggestions are dismissed and being to much extra work load to implement.

As t3k/Kenny mentioned in an earlier post PA isnt even advertised on the website of its parent company, i would have thought with the declaration of a FREE ROUND that a link would have gone up onm Jagex's homepage as a way to give their huge playerbase a chance to try PA for free, but it seems not. I dont know if this was miscommunication between the PA Team and Jagex or for another reason but suffice to say the free round has really not done anything for PA. If it was a way to make people play an ST round (which quite a chunk dont normally do) then it seems to have failed and maybe even tho i advocated ST stats when they first come back with the lack of playerbase intrest in the game MT stats should be used every round. Its my opinion that ST stats naturally heighten activity as there as holes in all fleets and less defence of a certain type available and nowadays in PA we dont have activity like we did even 6-7 rounds ago.

In regards to why people still play this game i would say that it is the community that keeps them here not the game itself.

Using my personal experiences i will assess why i cant give 'the game' even though i really should.

I started play PA because i had split from my wife and was living alone, most of my friends were her friends and therefore i wasnt left with many people to talk to. I remembered playing PA and other game when i was younger and thought i should see if they were still going. I signed up to PA and joined iRC and applied to a few alliances and was eventually accepted into ASS. The community was great and very diverse, there was lots of people to talk to and i had a great time, i dont think the game was ever the major part of my 'PA career' it was always in favour of the community aspect. I threw myself into DCing and BCing and other roles within ASS and then eventually with a disgruntled core split away to create HeX.

Over the following 5 rounds we played PA to a reasonable level and built what i beleive was a great community. I became close friends with my fellow HC's, Jinkez Razock and sk8. When we started out with HeX Jinkez was a jobless bum, i was still putting all my attention into iRC and PA through my rl lonliness, Razock was a trainee teacher and sk8 was a uni student. Between the 4 of us we had a lot of spare time to grow the alliance and man management our group well.

But over time our lives and those of our community changed, we werent full of 18-20 year old anymore. I had met someone and was putting my time into that (and still am \o/), Razock was now a almost qualified teacher and sk8 was in his final year of uni. Jinkez will always be a jobless bum but he couldnt pick up the slack of 3 people whos activity had massively wained and therefore he gained an apathy towards PA from this. We decided at the start of round 41 that it would be our last round playing as an alliance as it was unfair on the players that relied on us for coordination and overall management. We decided it best for them to move into other alliances and spent most of our round arranging with others to take them in. (sorry Valle your alliances amazing victory will be tainted by the fact that all of us were already planning for rd 42 when you started warring us)

I along with Jinkez and sk8 had planned to quit pa completely, as we now had a lack of care for the game and time to play it, but in the off round the new stats were released and the thought that i wouldnt be able to interact with all these great people i had met on a regularly basis was rubbish. So i applied to a few alliances and found a home in ND. They welcomed me in and i did have a great 200 ticks there, i was playing with a few of my HeX friends and the lack of responsibility was cool!!

Things happened (yes i know im a prick most the time, i cant change that sorry) and i moved to xVx. Yet again another great community and an enjoyable place to hang out.

I am now currently not playing PA and really it sucks - all these people i knew for ages that im out of the loop with, i miss that! I have no doubts i will sign up again and may never be able to fully leave PA but it has never been for the game itself - it has always been for the people and i would hazzard a guess that it is the same for the majority of you guys to... otherwise why would Asc have a 20 man tag when they no longer have anything game wise to prove in PA??!!
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote