View Single Post
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 02:51   #12
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you Revise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
so you get examined on whether you can remember 20% of what you were taught.

sounds challenging.

being an idiot you would not understand the concept. You are not tested on 20% of what you are taught, you are taught a certain amount of topics, in brief and then have to answer on two (or three in my case) aspects of the topic. You cannot get away with just copying what you are taught.

what lokken says is absolutely true. I find that reading is the first step (research). Then i summarise my reading into more simple topics. then i make my summarised notes into smaller topics on cue cards etc, having indicator words etc.

People who say revision isn't important are wrong in my opinion, especially for a proper degree. You need to research topics fully, if you haven't already, and have broad understanding of a certain aspect of a topic. That is the most important thing, making sure that you have done the reading.

On of my teachers at sixth form gave the class the most brilliant advice, that revision is a personal thing and its important to find the best revision method for yourself.

She also believed that a good method is to write and copy down information. On the belief that the more times you write something down, the more likely you are to remember it. This has always helped me in my exams. Copy and pasting information from one place to another, without a computer!

doing past papers, or atleast looking at them is obviously important. Most exams are the same year on year with certain simple changes in the wording of questions. I always look at past exams and then pick topics from them to revise more closely,