View Single Post
Unread 9 Jun 2007, 17:35   #76
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Who Wants to Be Second Best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I live in a very small democracy.

I'm just starting to realise this.

Because whatever you think of the political system, whatever you feel about the foolishness of the political elite, your jaundiced perceptions probably stem ultimately from the fact that you, as an individual are disenfranchised. Marginalised to the point of irrelevance. And you will never have a voice, because the society you live in is too large, to fractured, and too captured by interest groups, power-brokers and the media for you to ever have any real influence.

Proposing an alternative system, of any kind, no matter how radical, does not fill me with any great hope however. Proportional Representation will give you nothing more than (at best) a few minor third parties, who will be completely marginalised by the larger entrenched parties.

Reform will probably come in the form of a few meager scraps, thrown into legislation to provide them with a moment to grandstand in front of the camera's. To my mind, this is the antithesis of useful reform, and it is very far removed from a more direct degree of political engagement that the proponents of proportional representation seem to advertise. Nothing will change, and nothing will move you towards more active political participation (if that is your desire).

There are too many of you. And too few of them.
Shit you're right. Let's not even try!
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote