View Single Post
Unread 18 Apr 2012, 01:09   #4
tulsa
Registered Loser

tulsa will become famous soon enoughtulsa will become famous soon enough
Re: Financial refugees

Great food for thought! I find it hard to believe that the Greeks' study of the Swedish language is a sign that their youths (on an individual level) plan to knowingly immigrate to avoid the debts of their forefathers. I would more likely accept the premise that they are being taught Swedish to advance the economic retlationship between the two countries. After all, who decided to offer, staff, and teach the Swedish courses?

I would suggest that the return of Greek immigrants to there motherland will likely depend on the depths of the Greek recession/depression. If given the option to return home in 10-20 years and live in veritable luxury (due their earnings/savings while abroad compared to those who stayed behind) I think most would take that option - to return to home country and family. But, if Greece falls into decay and becomes a '3rd world' country that likelihood surely approaches nil. I base that opinion on the immigrants I see here in the US. When I speak to Central and South American immigrants, most tell me they never intend to return home because they simply do not want to return to a country where reliable vehicles and air conditioned homes are scarce at best. But when speaking to Canadian and European immigrants they generally look forward to their return home, as returning home does not suggest a decline in quality of life.

I would be most curious not on the economic impact of the regular moneys sent home to family during an immigrant's working days, but more so if/when they retire to their home country and move the totale of their accummulated wealth. A slow and steady stream of lost economic recycle is one thing, but an en masse removal of significant funds (when an entire generation of immigrants retires and returns home) could have a sudden and substantial impact to the economy harboring the immigrants. (If I had any true knowledge on the history and topic of economic migration I'm sure I could insert a fine example here... )

Last edited by tulsa; 18 Apr 2012 at 01:13. Reason: incomplete thought
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote