View Single Post
Unread 17 Nov 2005, 11:13   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Orbit - The poster boys for failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron7684
On behalf of Orbit, i will start off by saying that our target galaxies were chosen because of their planets, not their alliances, so no harm was intended to F-Crew or any other alliance(s) involved.
I never said you did, Infact if had been alliance based I wouldnt haven even raised the issue as it would have been a fair and acceptable

Quote:
We choose targets like this because of the nature of our alliance, being an alliance that accepts players new to the game with no previous experience whatsoever, we have a very differentiated score line. A few members way at the top, and a large amount right at the bottom (high average, low median). When we select a target, we must take into consideration that most of our memberbase is equal to if not smaller than the planets in question. Of course we teach our members how xp works and why its better to attack larger planets, but we're also trying to teach them proper fleet composition, and because this can be a very confusing subject to a new player, some of them can have trouble taking on a planet even half their size.
This might work when talking to the more hardcore alliance whom often have little knowledge of playing as a small/training alliance. HOWEVER if theres one person in this community that you cant pull the wool over their eyes with such an excuse its me. I have choosen to do the role that Orbit find itself in for almost 6 years now and I understand the kind of distribution of score that a training alliance has and what targets are possible with a team of green players

Now its tough to persuade people that attacking larger planets but its your duty to do so, your not helping anyone by teaching them to attack smaller. Your just using your small often new players to attack even smaller, even newer players. By not doing so your doing a disservice to your players and the game.

Oh and you say that some of your players have trouble hitting planets even half their size, well if thats so get you fingers out ffs.One planet in this galaxy had 5 TZEN FLEETS hitting them. These Tzen fleets alone each could get in and out with little trouble in fact they had enough Tzens to hit an average xan that was atleast 100k LARGER rather than the Xan's that were half their size. What makes things worse is no no reason whatsoever some of these fleets are being guided in by Ter BS fleets.

Quote:
Actually, orbit's average score right now is just above 400k and our target galaxy is just under 400k. So we're not talking about a sizeable difference here.
Orbit is 420k, the galaxy is 350k. So please dont make out that they are both close to each other.

Quote:
Our attacks have never had more than 5 waves, although members DO attack together at times. We do not try to obliterate our targets, we have the same goals as any other alliance or even single player; to gain roids, what comes of the defenders ships is not up to us and as long as you have your ships it is possible to recover from any amount of roid loss.
Now ive seen the full launch list and not just Jpg's yeah your right, most arent more than 5 wave, however most are the full 5 wave involve two attacker. In some cases this is fine but as i said above theres alot of fleets that alone deal with the target the additional fleets just make its pointless. In fact with the way that roids are handed out when two attacks land some of these planets get hardly any roids when a full cap is possible.

As for your goals, I think thats fairly simplified goal. When your a small alliance your role is to provide a fun enviorment for your players to keep them playing and to teach them about the game. Attacks like this I would suggest actually go against this aim as it dosnt allow the score that smaller players lose whenn they lose their roids to be recovered easierly. Your players should be taking big jumps on every attack not only just covering your losses.

Quote:
As for your advice on how we should choose targets, all i can say is this is how we attack. If we chose larger targets, most of our members would either not attack (not gain any score) or attack and land into a death trap (loss of score), so right now it is a lose-lose situation. Don't get me wrong, if i could put a larger galaxy up on the attack i would love to, but our largest members are 10 times bigger than our smallest, so its hard to find a compromise.

And you also must remember how Orbit came about, we were 4 alliances just struggling to make the top 30, and after the merge, most of our top members left us. So as a training alliance, we obviously want to help the PA community and we wont be judged based on who we attack.
Your letting FEAR get the better of you and your players and this highlights the problem I'm highlighting. You shouldnt be playing into players fears, you should be encouraging them to attack well. All races have a weakness and players themselves just compound the problem and you should be ensuring your members are exploiting this as much as possible. While its true larger galaxies and spreading your attacks out a little more to allow you take more targets and potentailly more score gains BUT its worth the risk for the score gains. Some may lose out every day but the score gains those that land will take will see them shooting up the rankings. As for being caught by defence this is either a potential problem now or its not a problem at all. If you have defence against you you wait till the lst possible moment and then pull.

And you can put up larger targets, have faith in your members. And if you cant find a galaxy that offers viable targets whom allow the majority of your members to hit larger planets then put up two galaxies. One which is smaller and strictly for smaller planets and then a larger galaxy for the bigger planets. If you keep letting the fear drive your target choices you will never meet your potential as the xp system is there to help small alliances if only they have the guts to take advantage of it.

As for the last part which suggests that your above judgement as your a training alliance, thats wrong. All alliances are judged and should be judged on their actions. And personally after your attitude here and the attack I think your actually somewaht of a disagrace to the training alliance tag as your not training your players to survive in the game. Your breeding a group of players whom cant play the game any where near to their potential and whom play the game ruled by fear. The only place these peoples attitude really fits on is in the win at all costs hardcore alliances where their make up allows for such attacking methods to pay off and somehow I doubt you are giving your players the training needed to most of them into the top alliance
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote