View Single Post
Unread 8 Feb 2008, 19:10   #48
Zaejii
This Space for Rent

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of
Re: Politics -> Planet Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Lets take myself for example, i exile into your galaxy and i get stuck on not wanted as I haven't earnt your trust yet. Now due to work I can be online but not on IRC so the lack of Galaxy Status becomes an issue, I simply cant send defence as I don't know what it is. The only way I could send defence was if you mailed me ingame but then you have an interesting issue. The issue being in my eyes your a nobody, your name isn't well known to me, I don't think ive been in a galaxy with you or an alliance with you. So i'm left to send defence on blind faith, but you would have already destroyed the level of trust by the failure to show trust in me. So your now at a catch 22 situation because you cant trust me and I cant trust you. Now ofc in reality it would probally not be an issue for me, i'd imagine i've been around long enough and am well known enough that in most galaxies either the GC or Ministers would set me as wanted BUT alot of people arent in this situation.
first off, how you know me or not by sending me an in game mail? it will show my planet name and my ruler name, not my alliance nick. therefore you wouldn't know if you've been in a galaxy or alliance with me before - whether my name is well known or not. on tick 72 everyone (sans the bp) is in that same boat of not knowing anyone, having to get on irc to learn people, or having to be active in the forums to prove that they have the ability to be active and communicate. why shouldn't it be taken more seriously later in the round when the active players have more to lose? if a galaxy has every member with 100+ dists and a cov op / scanner / whatever planet lands into that galaxy allowing status to be leeched for 48 ticks, therefore putting to waste 100 constructions during that period of time, its an issue that should be able to be prevented.

perhaps what would better suit you (and everyone else for that matter) is to keep the announcement for everyone in galaxy of the X PLANETS IN YOUR GALAXY HAVE INCOMING FLEETS! while only showing them on the gal status to people with permissions. this would allow your 'not wanted' planets to mail the GC or Ministers or post on the forums offering defense. in this case, its no different from offering your ships to a DC in an alliance. you're putting blind faith / trust into someone and hoping that they won't take your fleet just to let it die. by doing so, you establish some kind of bond and can prove that you are willing to work with the galaxy (with or w/o IRC).

if you join into a well established galaxy, its your duty to show that you can be trusted, not the others that have no option other than to trust you due to the system thats currently in place.

the only way to prevent spying on this level is to implement something similar to this, make all galaxies private, or by some other idea that it doesn't seem anyone else has thought up at this time (including myself).