Thread: Racism
View Single Post
Unread 11 Nov 2008, 11:12   #50
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
My view on that is that this is a space based webgame, played by an extremely wide range of people, and probably a fair few young children.
The great thing about racism is that if you don't talk about it, it goes away.

Quote:
That coupled with the fact that many of the more "amusing" (and I use that word in the most sarcastic sense I can possibly muster) members of the community will immediately look at this much needed step as an open invitation to push the rules as far as possible just for the hell of it.
This is what is known as a culture clash. If the powers that be want to redefine what is acceptable that's fine, but there are better ways to do it than force.

Quote:
Well I don't find them funny, and I am extremely glad that something is being done about this. Hopefully homophobia will be addressed too.
Yeah, an online game is definitely the place to start combatting homophobia.

Quote:
Sadly nothing will ever (can ever?) be done about this on IRC which is the real problem area as far as this subject is concerned.
What problem? Things are the way they are because a self-selecting group has made it that way. If you want to change it, you're doing the right thing. Talk about it. Make people understand that you'd rather things were different. Believe it or not, that is an actual functioning way to communicate. Banhammers are not. The people you're talking about have shown time and time again that they care more about its freedom to flaunt the rules than their ability to play the game or post on the forums.

The correct way to fix this problem is to engage them. This thread does that, the banhammer does not.