Thread: Espionage
View Single Post
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 12:34   #11
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Espionage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I dont know how many have used that one... But putting scans and cov ops into the same "bracket" and as far as I know removing the jpscan and doing radical changes with the scan system is something I am against.
I wouldn't remove any scans or covert ops, but if anything add others.

Quote:
In the initial suggestion from Appocomaster one of the suggestion was to remove the ability to jpscan unless you were eta 4 or less from the target planet. This would make it alot harder on alot of people, and also make alliance coordination tougher.
I wasn't a fan of that, and from the "agent basis" anyone can jumpgate anyone, which lifts the restriction. The limits I wanted to impose were different...

Quote:
Also, critisising people for going distorter whore is totally and utter shite. It is an option within the rules and if some newb without an alliance isnt able to scan someone, then he should go for more amps.
I'm not criticising them. It's a very valid route, and one I'd take.
For someone who is apparently starting up a recruiting wing next round, I find your opinion to be extremely interesting.
Why does he have to spend all his time making amplifiers?

Quote:
The system as it is now allready permits the possibilities to do a good round without an alliance.
You mean say by building distorters?

Quote:
There was alot of people in smaller, or without any alliances in the top 100 the last round so with time and dedication is it fully possible to do good without an ally.
Most of the unallied people were well known names or actually in an alliance and misreported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
That said, I am very intrigued as to how you plan to form espionage. Will they have to travel on some fighter to the planet to perform covert operations, thus having an eta there and back unless they get caught where they would be killed? Will you're jgp intel gatehr travel with the fleet scanning the universe around hime for extra fleets, or will he be at the planet already monitoring their communications? Will the spies be members of that planet already that you have to contact, pay and wait for their responses?
If you can give more information on how espionage will work, travel times / spies etc, please do so.
I was eventually going to get to it, but I was first trying to get someone to actually say it was ok

Basically, missions have a hardness associated with them, between say 1 and 10.

The number of ticks it takes to complete the mission is the int((mission_hardness - number_of_agents)/2) (well, to be precise it's the maximum of 0 and that value, otherwise we'd have negative numbers :P)

So, the harder the mission the longer it takes. Scans are considered easier than covert ops, and so the harder scans are generally as hard as the easiest covert ops. This forces people to strike a balance between being discovered by sending more agents to complete the mission (which lowers stealth), and having a time delay for the mission of up to say 4 ticks.

Admittedly it's not *that* much more realistic than even covert ops, but the time delay is interesting.

I think missions should have a fairly low cost, but agents that get caught die (or have some % chance of dying) and are expensive. [not sure on this]

There's a random function so missions are more like covert ops / old scans than current scans. You can be completely immune from all missions (perhaps the covert-op type ones more easily than the scan ones) but this costs in terms of building 40-60 constructions (similar to distorter wh0ring, I guess), and that'd ruin your %s for everything else. Maybe I should increase the number of constructions

Last edited by Appocomaster; 27 Dec 2005 at 12:48.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote