View Single Post
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 01:43   #7
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The internet and social interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I know this is quite off-topic, but it is something I hadn't really thought about - the difference in maturity in different communities.

The "Planetarion" community (which, as much as a lot of us would like to deny, does include us) is quite mature. I think the average age is probably around 22-25 or so.

I'd forgotten this, and had started to readily accept that as the "norm" for the internet gaming community as a whole.

I've recently started playing Warcraft 3 online (mostly custom games, but still). The chatting and general social standards of the community are SHIT at best. I mean, you'll be playing with people and the highest form of chat they have are "lo" then "from?" and you tell them where you are from. They then refuse to talk further, except to maybe insult each other with the oh-so-common insult of "NOOB!".

I found it amusing when I admitted to being a "NOOB" (ie "yes this is the first time i've played this map, i'm new, can you give me some pointers?" in a team game... "NOOOOOOB" i was given in reply). Also the fact that "NOOB!" is apparently a universal term. I played with a bunch of french guys and they all used it as a derogatory term (with the rather interesting alternative, "NAAB" which I found refreshing).

I just thought it was intriguing how I had an image of the internet (and of course I knew that there were shit people outside of #forums and GD - hell, i've ventured inside #planetarion once or twice and boy was I scared!) and it was destroyed by these - for want of a better word - MORONS.

...I suppose the fact their names were KILLAH1994, which meant they were probably born in 1994 and therefore only 12 years old, should have given me an indication to their maturity. Perhaps I should start calling them "NOOBS AT LIFE!" seeing as I'm 11 years older than them?
I find myself resorting to that sort of immaturity during game play, as letting go is part of the fun. :/