View Single Post
Unread 22 May 2006, 13:00   #33
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: We haven't had a book thread in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Its only OK.
I disagree, its a great book. I found the plot to be somewhat lacking, and it felt like a fairly lame afterthought (same with 1984) - the main point of the book was to describe something and pose questions. Brave New World is still the best portrayal of the Nietzschean "Last Man" that I've encountered, due to the almost parodic extreme it takes it.

The Brothers Karamazov, on the other hand, I thought was shit. The main problem is that Doestovsky was completely unable to write a character who wasnt decadent - he was great at portraying 'bad' humans, but that was it. In his notes for BK, he said that Alyosha was meant to be the positive character, but this is pretty laughable given that he was at least as contemptible as the rest of them. All throughout the book, I was screaming for the appearnce of a heroic character, someone with even a basic degree of strength, integrity, or honesty, who would stand above the pathetic failures and actually give the whole thing a point. But alas he never came, and I was stuck with 800 pages about mediocrity.

"Notes From the Underground" is far better imo, since it allowed Doestoyvsky to concentrate on what he was best at - writing about sick people and sick societies - rather than trying to take on a task which his religious beliefs probably made him incapable of completing.

Last edited by Nodrog; 22 May 2006 at 13:17.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote