View Single Post
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 13:21   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: New PC: won't boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
You sound like you've covered the basics, just remember that when stripping the system back to a minimal system the following components MUST be connected to POST successfully:

motherboard
cpu
memory
video card (or onboard video is fine)
keyboard (it's a legacy thing, some newer boards don't care so much, but it'll avoid the BIOS whinging about no keyboard)
and obviously power

A lot of new boards no longer use a system of beeping to indicate errors, instead they resort to an onboard LED indication (in the form of either digits or a pattern of lights). Check your mobo manual to see what it uses.

I would try reseating everything including the CPU to make sure nothing funny is going on with the contacts.
MOBO, CPU and memory are going RMA after having called the guys at Salland.
I'm aware of the basic components that must be connected (with the exception of the keyboard, didn't know that), but even if any of these are not connected the motherboard should warn for this, no? Atleast that is what I read everywhere. A series of beeps if anything is buggered.
The motherboard uses beeps I assume although it doesn't have a table for this. Except it has a textual table... I'm beginning to wonder if the bugger gives spoken POST messages (ASUS A8V-E Deluxe). I connected the case speaker to the motherboard so it should notify me of any events. Or the case speaker can't "speak" and only beep, in which case this spoken POST stuff is the stupidest invention ever.