View Single Post
Unread 17 Oct 2014, 12:45   #19
wades209
Carew

wades209 has a spectacular aura aboutwades209 has a spectacular aura aboutwades209 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Round 60 and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I don't understand what you're proposing here, please explain. And while you're at it, what kind of strategies are you trying to enable?
Its purely to think which bonus improves their start the most.. so at current you flick research to max until you have that branch done and then flick onto something new cons sec etc. This proposal means that if you want a quick start you can go for the research bonus straight away or pick another route.. so as you listed below with all the various playing styles (Dists, scanning, value etc..) You set up the bonus' which suit your style but the decisions you make are final. Therefore you have to think long and short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
If you actually want to add strategic depth, then what you want is people choosing between different ways of playing the game. In such a game you could focus on value (building FCs and refs and trying to avoid getting roided), XP (roiding every night, building MCs and avoiding SKs), disting (losing a chunk of your income making sure people can't even attack you), scanning (making amps and being the alliance bitch), cov ops (feeding your galaxy while staying out of danger yourself), you could do any of these things... but not all of them.

In my opinion your suggestions do not add strategic variety. They're all things that either everyone will do, or no one. The new governments, ship upgrades, construction upgrades and research tree will all be figured out after 1 round and then it's same old again. It's like the ship stats all over again. Changing these numbers around does not solve the problem of the lack of strategic variety in this game. This is the main problem I have with your suggestions: they just change the thing everyone is doing now, to something else that everyone will be doing.

In short, I want to achieve the same thing you do, but I feel the mechanisms you've chosen do not work.
I can see what you mean about players figuring things out after 1 round but is that not the point that we need to keep things changing in someway rather than sit still which we are doing now? The biggest changes at the moment are Demo 40-30% decrease. I think this new style would give us a few rounds of playing around and then we would look to the next tweaks.
wades209 is offline   Reply With Quote