View Single Post
Unread 17 Dec 2006, 19:21   #44
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold
Re: 'Fix' the combat engine its damage distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
Of the three I vote value.
Simply because a ship's value comes from its cost, and the costs are generally a better representation of 'danger'

The following explanation is understandably very confusing and complex -- Appocomaster SHOULD be able to follow it, and if he's interested he knows how to contact me/introduce it.

For the rest of you :

It deals damage to the ships based on their value, but if the damage dealt is greater than the armour available to reduce by, the excess damage is moved to a new variable named 'unused' and this 'unused' potential is used on the next ship etc... going down through every intiative, updating throughout!

-tuxed0
It's not quite that easy, but it's doable .

It's also the way I think it should be. The ship value should be the criterium for dealing damage. Since, if a ship has high armor, why should it get more damage dealt? It has lower damage and/or higher init in exchange. The same way, a xan ship should get the same damage, even if it has less armor, because it fires earlier and/or does more manage.

But logically, as you said, there should be no damage wasted until all targets have been killed, that wouldn't make any sense. So any damage left should be distributed evenly to the remaining ships (also by value), until no damage or no ships are left. All in all, I agree 100% with your post.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr

Last edited by XelNaga; 17 Dec 2006 at 19:42.
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote