View Single Post
Unread 7 Dec 2006, 14:16   #29
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future
Re: 'Fix' the combat engine its damage distribution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Baffled. Comparing war with going out drinking. Priceless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
here goes another explanation that's probably on your level of understanding...
I used that example to try and show how, logically, if you need X for something, you would expect to give X to accomplish it. I'm obviously not comparing going to a club with PA, it was an example to illustrate a point. And I'm sure you knew that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
As Jester said, what gameplay benefit does your suggestion offer? How will combat be made more fun by it? You didn't answer the question and you again assume that 'logic' provides the whole answer.
I'm exhausted... The whole point of statistics and numbers (especially in maths) is that there is an answer which makes sense. This suggestion makes sense - and this is a numbers game -- not a war game. It's just numbers and text.

If you want to compare this text based game to war, and if you want to consider imaginary pilots shooting on 'dead space' as them 'missing' - then by all means please reintroduce an accuracy element to the game so that it is obviously intentional and not just a way to avoid answering the question : "why does it not make sense". Personally I prefer the damage and armour as they look now, it's lot simpler to understand at-a-glance than the wpspd/agility/guns/accuracy things of the past.

And for the record, there is obviously no reason why (or even how) this would/could make the game any more fun, and for Jester to suggest that being a good reason behind this particular change is fundamentally flawed. THIS change is about the poor distribution of damage in combat, especially the way that combat is 'fought', not about how it will affect the game's levels of fun.

And what changes will this make to the game?
Armour per cost and damage per costs will reflect (to a 100% degree of accuracy) how good a ship is offensively and defensively because they'll do exactly what the stats say.
Armour would mean 'how much damage do you need to deal for this ship to be stolen/frozen/killed.' Damage would be EXACTLY what the Damage field says 'how much armour will this particular ship 'take off' from a ship in this specific class'.

I'm tired of arguing with you guys about this as I'm sure you know why the suggestion makes sense -- if one of you could explain to me how combat and damage distribution currently makes sense -- and the answer 'this is how it is' won't convince me otherwise -- I would really like that.
Thanks -- tux

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote