Thread: Oh. My. God.
View Single Post
Unread 6 Aug 2007, 19:09   #18
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Oh. My. God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
The first annoying thing I found about Vista is the fact that Microsoft are ****wits for turning on UAC on by default. Everytime I customised this, installed a program, installed a driver kept asking me to give it permission. Took me quite a while to realise I could turn it off and then more annoying and wasted time trying to find the feature to turn it off only to have it tell me I have to restart. Grr.
This is a good thing, just poorly implemented.
Its about time windows started to bug people about running things as admin, and about time other software developers started working on not requiring this access to do things.
If it nagged a little less it would be good, since as things currently stand people are simply turning it ( and the protection it offers ) off because it never ever shuts up. This is also the fault of the developers of all the bits of software which seem to desire admin access too btw.

One improvement thats possible:
When installing something - windows installer has a script of all actions that its going to take. instead of bringing UAC up for all of them one by one - Bring it up with a list of all the actions that it will need admin for
ie "windows needs you to authorise the installation of a driver, writing files to a protected directory ( say the windows dir ), etc etc"
a single prompt window for all that with a single yes/no for all - and/or checkboxes next to each item if you dont want a particular one to occur

If they'll fix UAC in SP1, i dont know. They're refusing to admit the existance of a service pack in development incase it puts business customers off buying it till it arrives.
Ofc the smart businesses are already doing this after having been burnt with windows XP.