View Single Post
Unread 14 Jan 2011, 17:26   #35
Light
You've Seen The Light

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: r34 First Tick Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shev View Post
None of the individual elements themselves take a huge amount of effort, but there are too many of those individual actions to take. As an example, I shouldn't need to choose to take my startup bonus or to start quests myself.

While we're on the subject of words that make no sense, how about explaining what a "conventional setup" is if it's nothing to do with the startup.
What happends is the PA Team implement slight tweaks which renders other things useless or bad but they dont alter those useless or bad things. There's afew things wrong with startup now:
1. Resources Startup Bonus: No need for it, Just give planets those resources at signup. Its also rendered init'ing roids pretty useless and people starting on 300-500 roids is pretty lol. Now were starting with more resources, it'd also be wise to give a major buff to asteroids (including cost), so people start with around 50-100 asteroids (but the same income, it has no real effect on gameplay, as capping 10 roids would be the same as capping say 50 roids now).
2. Research Startup Bonus: Its a major problem when you give new players unlimited choice at signup and throw things at them expecting them to know what to do. The point is, that there's very little wiggle room in strategy for the research startup bonus, you need HTC1 and HTC2 (wiggle room maybe for CR rushing), You will also generally get Hulls 1. With the asteroid change, you could give HTC-1 automatically (allows 100 roids to be mined). I'd also change the HTC tech tree to be 100-150-200-300-500-750-1000. I'd slip in an extra HTC between 100 and 200 but make the first HTC extremly quick, this would keep the strategy of init'ing more.
3. Construction Startup Bonus: I'd do it similar to research, give everyone 1 of each factory but change the setup so that it takes longer to build ships and factorys are abit more important. I'd alter research labs, so that they no longer give a % increase, as thats abit too complicated to explain but instead make research labs give a fixed increased of 10 res points per tick. This would make res labs more viable and allow a strategy of spamming them for fast research. You could also make a new construction to increase your construction points as well.
4. Quests should be automatically accepted and changed to be done in order. It would show the current quest without having to click on it (so it wouldnt be hidden).
5. Governments are changable but they incur a cost of 1-2 ticks of anarchy between changes. This would enable more strategys and help reduce the burden of new players being forced to make gamechanging decisions at tick 0.

These changes would make startup easier and add more strategy. The construction/research changes would also have the sideeffect of making upgrades more useful.

When there's one right strategy, something needs to be changed as it makes it boring. You're following a checklist rather than playing the game.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote