View Single Post
Unread 14 Dec 2005, 10:46   #7
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Problems with boot sector

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Please note:
I am not talking about the "Repair Install".
I am talking about the Recovery Console (that is what pressing R gets you to).
My mistake - the moment i read "Repair" i panicked and posted even though it was clear by the rest of your posting that you meant the recovery console.

The recovery console is less evil, but for example "fixboot" is pretty buggy if you use it with fat16 or fat32. I remember that "fixboot" created a fat16 bootsector on my 16 gig fat32 partition once even though 16gig FAT16 is impossible, the partition ID in the MBR clearly said FAT32, the fat structure, root directory and backup boot sector clearly said FAT32 too. Microsoft has a tradition of having very buggy repair tools regarding partitions or filesystems and in general they only seem to work if you use the default selections of their latest OS.

I dont know if "fixmbr" has problems too, but since i found any microsoft bootloader utterly inferior to any other (like grub or the many commercial ones) and since "fdisk /mbr" does its job nicely - i never really needed it.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote