View Single Post
Unread 3 May 2005, 14:33   #45
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Who can I talk into funding a physics PhD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
but you arent going to get any, due to the fact that you have asked on GD fs and the fact that the people with any knowledge at all think that the uni should have sorted this one way or the other.
it's actually rather common for unis to go "whoa, this guy/gal is good, quick employ them" and then not have any money to do so. Much of this is because of stupid government funding, and all the money being tossed at huge projects like CERN and JPL. it seems Jenny is going into theoretical physics, where funding is even worse - the government says "what? you need 500k for paper and pencils?!?" but if you have a big thing with lots of lasers and mirrors and stuff and pretty pictures, you will do alot better.

then it depends on internal funding rounds in the university - a large Physics group like my old group at Imperial College is subdivided into a number of smaller groups, Astro, Biophys, QUOLS, Plasma , Theo and so on, and between all them they have to share 3 students a year. all complicated stuff, and it could well turn out that her group could get the money but it hasn't been allocated yet.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote