Thread: Alliance limits
View Single Post
Unread 29 Apr 2013, 22:52   #29
tokath
semi-retired

tokath is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alliance limits

In my experience most alliances aren't interested in being #1, so even those rounds with lower allies limits don't really increase the number vying for #1.

I'm not against removing alliance limits, however if there was incentive to help the new guys I think it would be considerably more beneficial in the long run. Furthermore I don't see how removing or raising them significantly now would change much in the uni. The exception being those that prefer to fort and play with a larger group of friends and are actually good at it as most allies already have limits on how many they want in a bp to help limit the inc when they aren't being p targeted.

The increase in ally limit would probably also increase the amount of whining when the ally hit "their" gal as the number of gals without your ally in it would decrease (likely a drastic decrease).

There is certainly a distinct incentive not to take on new players when you have alliance limits if you in any way view your alliance as competitive/cool/elite/whatever.

I did a quick calculation this round. There are roughly 830 planets in the universe currently and ~580 in any alliance that you could consider at least semi-active. That's nearly ~250 planets that are just out there.

I'm going to pretend for a minute that all of those are actually other people (not multis) that are playing/attempted to play and are mostly failing (or already quit) due to not caring/knowing about irc or getting dumped from any semi active gal. If you could actually get those other planets playing they could cause a significant amount of trouble.

Back in the day we used to have para/cluster alliances and feeder/jr allies and they definitely helped the new guys to learn and stay. I can tell you that if I hadn't played pa earlier and understood what was needed I wouldn't have bothered past my first round with pa in it's current state.

PA already has the ability to keep your account from round to round so it wouldn't be hard to classify people new/beginner/pro/etc and provide incentives for others to help them or handicaps for them. Having those classifications would allow us to do other things like setup bots planets that would only target and could only target those classified as new or change vac mode so they could continue to mine. Yes people could game the system to some degree, however it would be pretty easy to setup some indicators to catch the most blatant attempts.
tokath is offline   Reply With Quote