Thread: The Smoking Ban
View Single Post
Unread 28 May 2007, 21:23   #24
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Smoking Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Incidentally do smokers enjoy the taste/smell of smoking?
Personally I don't like the smell of cigarettes. I think it's a very nasty smell that gets everywhere. Goes into your clothes, hands, teeth etc. The smell of cigars is lovely. I also like the smell of stale smoke in snooker clubs. Those who play snooker will know what I mean. On the whole if I could take one thing away from cigarettes (aside from the harmful chemicals, cancer etc) it would be the smell.

The taste is something else. Like Beer there is a remarkable taste difference in cigarettes. Not to the extent of beer, but strength and tobacco. This is probably more noticeable with rollups where the filters are less, and the papers are thinner so you are really smoking the tobacco.

I actually sometimes really like a cigarette. Normally after eating. It just tastes so good. It is probably a psychological thing, but on the whole I do enjoy it. If I smoke say 20, by the time I light the 20th I am asking myself why, as it tastes vile.

But you do get a kick from it. Cigarettes do sometimes balance me, once again it could all be in the head, but that first one of the day (for me this is normally about 1pm) is always good and when you are stressed they are great.

My main issue with the smoking ban is the whole choice thing. Aside from the whole "it kills people" thing, I now have one less choice in life. I can't remember who said it earlier, but surely if the market dictated non smoking pubs then they would open up. If say GD represents an average cross section of the population in terms of smokers/non smokers of say 18-30 year olds (ie 1 in 5 are smokers) then why does it take government legislation to take away smoking pubs and put in non smoking pubs?

At this point you will normally hear an anti smoker say "well I have a choice, if I dont want to go to a smoking pub I don't have to, but the people who work behind the bar, they dont have a choice. They have to endure your passive smoking"

Thats all well and good, but the people working behind the bar can get a job elsewhere. That's a choice. No one is forced to endure smoking. If they don't like it leave, don't go there.

I can see all the plus points of the smoking ban and I am in favour of a ban. But I believe that premises such as members only clubs, sheesha bars etc should be able to opt out of a ban. As I say that thing that annoys me is not that I can't smoke indoors, I generally smoke outdoors anyway. What actually annoys me is that someone is telling me that I can't smoke indoors and not just anybody but the government. If a pub chose to be no smoking, sure, thats fine.

But the government telling me I can't smoke a pack of their duty laden cigarettes that effectively fund the NHS. That ****s me off.