View Single Post
Unread 12 Apr 2006, 01:44   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Re: IDE to SATA Guide

There is a way without doing a repair install or reinstalling any application whatsoever.

The problem with the blue screen occurs whenever you clone a HDD with your system on it.
Windows won't make your cloned HDD drive C:, and that leads to various internal "path not found" errors, that produce the blue screen.

The solution is quite "simple": You have to edit a registry key. Somewhere Windows stores which physical HDD gets assigned which drive letter. You need to change it. I forgot where exactly it's stored, either MS' KB articles hepled, or just google. I forgot what the key names where, something with "Volume" in it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...

I did that myself a while ago...
Well, that's nicer than re-installing.

Use something like Windows PE or Winternals Boot CD or something to get to regedit...