Thread: Are you Agile?
View Single Post
Unread 27 Mar 2007, 16:38   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Are you Agile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
It has its place in small software development teams which have to develop something tangible quickly i guess, but certainly not for enterprise level development where you are developing a huuge system which has to be pretty damn good and thought through in how everything is going to interact with each other thing ( UML diagrams , the works for planning etc )
Does "enterprise level" mean anything, objectively speaking?

Again, speaking as an outsider (to the CS), I'm not sure it does. I write this posts minutes after receiving an email sent to all our company telling us our invoice processing system has just crashed and won't be restartable until tomorrow (it is the end of the financial year in a few days). It is a system responsible for a good proportion of our (non-staffing / financial) revenue accounting, perhaps about £6-7 million worth of orders. And it's crashed because there's more than a hundred invoices were processed on the same order, or something equally shit and pathetic.

Our capital projects (about £40m-£50m worth of expenditure I guess) are managed primarily through some badly linked excel files (which breaks every month when someone adds a new row into some file without telling anyone). This is the enterprise level a lot of the time.

The point I'm making is that lots of organisations making do with really shit software which (in the case of our invoice system) has undoubtedly gone through a full planning process. We'd have been better off developing something inhouse and at least being able to improve it as we went on. At the moment, all we can do is moan at the developers a lot.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote