Thread: Ffs
View Single Post
Unread 18 Apr 2007, 11:28   #22
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I'd agree that dealing with the social issues is a better option than just banning guns (although they're not mutually exclusive obviously).
At what cost though? Sure, in the long run social issues should be dealt with; but fact is that he guns are there, and they can be obtained quite easily in the USA. In my opinion the "cost" of starting to deal with the social issues while there's still "troubled minds" walking around using the guns causing tragedies such as this one, is far too high.

You can't simply shut your eyes, and go straight to the roots of the problem, without making it a bit less dangerous (poor phrasing, I apologise), when there's people's lives at stake.

There's terrorism, and while the reasons for terrorist movements to behave the way they do may be more important social issues, I'd much rather see their support being removed first, rendering them less dangerous (hypothetically speaking ofcourse), making things a little bit safer, than go through extensive analysis of the social/religious problem while the murdering continues.

I know that's not a 1:1 analogy but I hope you see my point.

I agree they're not mutually exclusive, I just think banning the guns should be the first step.