View Single Post
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 13:07   #126
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Should be Taught in Schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Because most people end up leaving school with the idea that learning is boring
Learning IS boring at that age. I honestly believe that no matter what you taught them, however you taught them, they'd still rather be messing around with their friends playing video games or football than in the classroom. It doesn't matter how it's taught or what you're teaching.

It's a maturity thing, not an educational thing.

Quote:
that intellectual pursuits and art are less fun than football
Yeah but that's down to our culture (especially the emphasis on football) and doesn't really have anything to do with school.

Quote:
that analytical reading destroys pleasure
I agree here. GCSE English completely ruined Shakespeare, Frankenstein, Lord of the Flies and war poetry for me. I loved English language though.

Quote:
that hard work involves drudgery
For lots of jobs; it does.

Quote:
that merit isnt rewarded
Not true. Most schools have awards and merits for people who do well. My school, for example, has "Merit points" that you put in their planners for KS3 (years 7-9) and when they get a certain number they get a reward. They also have stickers (which are suprisingly effective for motivating kids, even at age 13-14). The older ones can be rewarded with sweets/chocolate/skip-the-queue-at-lunch. Lots of schools have these kind of rewards in place. Even just positive praise is actively encouraged and is a reinforcer for learning.

Quote:
that theres no difference between understanding a subject and being able to pass an exam
Exams are based on knowledge/understanding of a subject, but I see your point.