View Single Post
Unread 6 Aug 2008, 13:23   #35
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Making production last forever without cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
Planetarion in the early days was FAR less complicated with far less progression in the game, and yet people still got hooked.
I respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Theres nothing which says you need to use scans, or covert ops, or ingame forums, or ingame messaging, or the message from commanders to play pa either. To new players these are also noise ( although it could be argued that the message from commanders section is noise for most people too )
Actually to play the game at all you do need to use scans and some form of comunication. I agree that covert operations and to an extent the message from your commander are noise.

Quote:
The difference is that these are things which were actively developed, documented and announced as features - not something which was discovered by a third party, ignored by a developer and the knowledge kept within a small subset of people.

Its not a feature, its a byproduct of something else ( a flaw in the eta calculation algorithm or the implementation of it ), just as the exploit last round involving sending parameters to the page which were not included in it is a byproduct of a lack of range checking on fields.
Are you saying that good things shouldn't be allowed to happen by accident? If PA was rife with hidden features I'd be willing to consider this argument, but it's not so I'm not.

Quote:
Hidden and undocumented are not synonyms for 'feature' any more than visible is a synonym for friendly.
You're right, it's completely orthogonal. I'm glad we agree

Quote:
By having a visible interface to this functionality however, it legitimises it as something which is intended and not something that happens due to a flaw.
Not really. Rocket jumping was a widely used feature in all the quake games that was never (and afaik still isn't) documented.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote