View Single Post
Unread 11 Mar 2013, 22:37   #313
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Jagex - Ominously silent

My latest copy of PC Gamer came through the letterbox today and I just opened it and out fell a 18 page booklet entitled ”PGGamer Presets Runscape in association with Jagex" so I thought I would do my 6 month checkin to see if anything had changed and surprise surprise nothing seems to have changed.

Talk about wasting money. No-one but existing fans of Runscape will read all 18 pages of that text heavy, backslapping PR blurb. They could have advertised all their games in half that space and shown some support and some thanks to the loyal players of PA with even a 1/4 of a page.

Have to say if Spinner doesn't go ahead with his rival I'm really tempted to. Have spent enough time doing work in the online gaming field and built up enough contacts that I could pull off a decent clone that was more graphically rich and modern and had apps available for all mobile platforms. Just not sure I can afford the time and the capital to get it off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil View Post
Well if spinner has any experience with economic downturns it sure didn't come during the early 2000's, an economic bubble during which he decided to start asking 15 year olds to pay on credit card to play a game they'd previously been playing for free.

Jolt don't care and aren't going to start caring, everyone knows it. The only real question is why such a close knit community can't band together and simply hold jagex to ransom.. Ask for the domain at a reasonable price, or have all players boycott the game. Alliance HCs talk to each other all the time. Why not put a vote to your members and get something going!
You may not be reading this thread anymore but actually there was an economic downturn in IT and the Internet side in early 2000's. PA started around the time the Internet bubble was just starting to grow and boy did it grow. People were going crazy with investment in net firms but with very little idea of how to monitories it. Firms ended up burning through their venture capitalist funds like money was going out of fashion and then started going bust. Some of these firms were also the biggest purchasers of the ads that supported other sites so this saw the ad networks being owed vast amounts that they now couldn't get and they either had to deny the sites they sold the ads too their take or pay them out of their own pocket.

Even the advertisers who were still flush with cash (either as they still had their venture fund capital to spend or they were firms that were internet reliant) started getting twitchy, they realised their ads weren't bringing in the returns they believed they would have and started paying less.

As ad revenue and venture capital started to dry up the bubble started to burst. So while the rest of ten world was still enjoying a growing economy the Internet business were in free fall. A large percentage of Internet business went to the wall, and almost every other one came out badly burnt. The fact Spinner and co kept things running so long after was a miracle as many firms with a products better suited to make money didn't.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote