View Single Post
Unread 23 Oct 2003, 16:54   #27
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Re: Abortions illegal in the USA?

Only if you believe the call-off-the-right that abortion is murder. Seeing as a person is not being killed, it is not murder. 'Potential' life is not life by any non-religious definitionl otherwise (as has been stated earlier) please explain to me in very clear non-religious terms the difference between a sperm and an early term foetus.

Of course, here we must ignore third trimester abortions (which as has been stated, are illegal in most places unless the life of the mother is in danger). In those cases, it is in theory possible, under intensive medical care, for the foetus to survive outside the womb, so I can see an argument being made there.

However, until that time, it is a collection of cells with no capacity to survive on its own. It is not a person, and thus is cannot be murdered. Religious arguments would tell you otherwise, but in most western countries, religion does not make the law, (in many there is a specific separation of church and state) and so cannot be taken into account.

Frankly, I have always agreed that if you speak out against abortion, then you should be compelled to take an unwanted infant into your home and raise it. Putting your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote