Thread: No more IRC
View Single Post
Unread 30 Jul 2017, 18:33   #41
Pit
Hole in the ground

Pit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of lightPit is a glorious beacon of light
Re: No more IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuLgAr View Post
about the closed system, we literally lose nothing we didn't already give away to netgamers so im guessing this is not an issue atal and why i didn't include it initially.
If NG went down, moving would be painful, but people could use the same clients etc. If Discord decides to shut down (or charge, or whatever) then you're in the complicated and fragmented boat we're in now.

Quote:
i don't believe it's right for people to be giving away personal info on the internet such as phone numbers to an unknown entity such as your new GC in a game, this could potentially dissuades new players too as this is not the norm in anything i've ever seen.
Agreed. I'm not in favour of it, but it's been in PA a long while. Then again, IRC's been around longer...

Quote:
and as for not using mirc, you leave yourself open to self research on how to configure and use your client of choice. Most people will use what others will use just because if they have an issue somebody else may also have had it and can help rectify it.
Maybe. I'm interested in how many users are actually using mirc these days though... I suspect it's still a decent chunk, but maybe less than you think. Quite a lot of users still use the com unit.
A lot of those sorts of issues could be handled by a tutorial, though most clients have a basic one and some have Netgamers in the default list.

Quote:
a planetarion bouncer seems like it coulda worked 5 years ago but the technology and ease of use for instant messaging apps has come far, people dont want to configure messaging apps, they just want to use them. (i guess if this was integrated into the ingame chat it would work though)
Yup. Users are terrible :P If this was the only issue then I'd consider repackaging a client (maybe one of the mobile ones) to handle most of this.
The main issue I see with a PA bouncer is the data. Amongst other things, they don't want to be responsible for it.
The way I've seen a network-integrated bouncer work it's probably as easy or easier as setting up a perform. That wouldn't work out of the box for NG though.
Pit is offline   Reply With Quote