View Single Post
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 18:02   #16
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Mideast strides lift Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
No, because they can always vote some tyrant into power to take away their rights and oppress them if they enjoy it so much. I very much doubt they will though (at least, not deliberately)..
And I wonder what would happen then? Oh yes, the US would go back and make them 'democratic' again. Democracy is not the be all and end all in life. I am UK, and obviously I support our democracy, and I appreciate it, however, this doesn't mean that everybody else will. I am not saying that they shouldn't have democracies, I am saying it should be THEM that decides they want a democracy, not us in the West.

Quote:
I find the whole 'asians/africans can't handle democracy' argument to be rather condescending.
Whoever said they can't handle democracy? You clearly misunderstood what I said. Read my above point. I never said or even implied they cannot handle it, I said that it might not be right for them. There is a major difference, saying they cannot handle it implies they are inferior and incapable, which would be condescending. What I was saying suggests that it shouldn't be our place to judge whether or not they should have it, it should be theirs. What justification do we have to dictate to people how they will live their lives and what culture they will have?
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote