View Single Post
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 15:30   #11
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Mideast strides lift Bush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I don't think there are may people in the East who don't want democracy, and people will never be right for democracy until they try it. Clearly though invading countries and shooting civilians is undesirable too and ultimately the people of the Middle East would have benefitted from a lack of Western interference, well intentioned or otherwise. In any case I don't think that the US has brought serious democracy to Iraq.
How many of them have you asked? The democracies that we impose are based around our idea of human rights. If you think that the East wants this, then I suggest you read up on the Asian Values debate (it is quite interesting, and it is also becoming very prominent in the Asian Tigers), as whilst it doesn't exclude democracy, it does say that it isn't their priority. Their priority is getting their people off the poverty line, getting them all fed, clothed, educated and healthy. And that might not mean giving them political and civil rights yet. They prefer the traditional family model for community for this. Of course this doesn't mean they won't be democratic, but it means they won't be democratic by Bush's terms.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote